6.04.2005

Going to Bangkok

(continued from somwhere in the Himalayas)

Dec 30/04

We are still in Nepal, and At this point trying to figure out what to do next. Our origional plan was to spend a couple of weeks here, and then Fly to the capital of India. After that...the plan changed to go to Bangkok Thailand and figure it out from there. After what has happened in the last week with the Tsunami ,things are quiet. Media access here is limited so we did'nt hear the details until the next day. I still can't beleive it....and the casualty numbers rise by the hour. I checked my hotmail the day after I heard the news and received at least one e-mail from everyone.....wanting to know if we felt the quake and what was going on ect... of course there was nothing this far out, but considering the severity of it...it almost seemed possible.
We talked about hooking up with Red Cross to help out ect...but for now we just need to get as much info as possible about what that would entail. I think about the people that are there as a witness to it, and what they must be going through, I really don't know what to say. What can you say?

Here in Pokhara, all of the buildings and hotels have rooftop patios. We where on top of our hotel patio the other day....drinking, talking and just watching the sunset and the people in the streets below getting ready for the annual new years festival. And all of a sudden.....we heard what sounded like fireworks at first. BANG BANG BANG. We all jumped...and paused for a moment, wondering what the hell it was. "fireworks at this time of day? no...something's not right". We looked around to see if we could spot anything.... we saw some people in the streets below freaking out and running for cover, I looked into the distance and saw smoke coming from the hills. And not but a minute later there it was again....BANG BANG. And no lie...Jamie and I where standing two feet apart...and we both hear a bullet zip by between our heads. we ducked down right away, heard a couple more shots, and when it stopped....we went downstairs to ask if anyone knew what had happened.
We learned soon after that two men where killed in a shootout between the Maoists and the army. And this happened so close to where we where that one of us almost took a bullet. Like I said in my last entry....unpredictable.

Jan 1/o5

We have decided fly to Bangkok tomorrow morning...and go from there. Nothing is in a set itinerary, and that's the way I wanted to do this. Backpacking just would'nt be backpacking if all of you have is expectations, and if everything was set up beforehand. Where the Hell is the adventure in that? I see travellers with big fancy tour buses, hotel reservations ect....why? Even If I had a shitload of $$ I wouldn't want it that way... I 'd much rather live like the locals do....eat thier food, learn the culture, interact with them, and learn from them. That is why I wanted to travel in the first place....to LEARN, and experience things I never thought I would experience. I love hearing stories from other travellers and they are the ones who really inspired me to get my ass out here.
After what has happened here in SE Asia...we will be hearing allot more about from people during our travels i'm sure....well see what happenes in the next couple of months on our trip.

I will defenately miss Nepal and most of the people here that I've met here are the friendliest and most enviting that I've ever met. I would'nt trade all the crazy shit that has happened to me so far....for anything. It's only making me wake up and realize what is going on in the world. Because as much as you hear about things in the media or whatever....you just don't know until you are there.
I will take the beauty of this place as a permanent image in my head for the rest of my life.


1 Comments:

Blogger Take the long road and walk it said...

Beez has dirty mind!

6:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home